[Project-managers] Improving communication between TLC and PMs

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Wed Dec 20 14:51:03 EST 2006

PROJECT MANAGER UPDATE
======= ======= ======

The TLC has recently been taking a critical look at our operating
procedures, with an eye towards future improvement. One area in which it
seems we need to improve is in our communication with project managers
(specifically those who are not on the TLC) regarding policy decisions.
In some cases, the current channels of communication have not been
working well and we have received feedback indicating that, although we
try hard to consider the needs and desires of all project managers when
we make policy decisions, some have felt their concerns were not heard.
Achieving a good balance between the needs of various project managers,
as well as those of users is sometimes very difficult. In recent policy
discussions, the TLC has chosen to error on the side of making life
easier for users, which has caused difficulties for some project managers.

To help address these issues, we'd like to encourage more involvement in
the policy-making process on the part of project managers, especially
those who may want to influence the direction the TLC is taking. To this
end, we would like to invite all project managers to attend the biweekly
TLC teleconferences. A list of upcoming meetings and links to the Wiki
pages containing agendas and call-in information is here:

https://projects.coin-or.org/CoinTLC/wiki/FutureMeetings

At the risk of additional SPAM on the PMs mailing list, TLC meetings
will be announced on the PMs mailing list from now on. PMs who want more
involvement can also subscribe to the TLC mailing list for access to
policy discussions that occur there.

The TLC Wiki, which contains notes from all previous meetings, archived
policy discussions pages and more, is open for viewing by anyone, so if
you want to see that's going on, please visit

https://projects.coin-or.org/CoinTLC

and let us know if you have any feedback. We hope this will help improve
communication channels and build a stronger COIN-OR developer community.

Happy holidays!

The Technical Leadership Council
COIN-OR Foundation
Ted Ralphs, Chair