[Project-managers] Proposed Version and Release System for COIN-OR Projects

Brad Bell bradbell at seanet.com
Thu Aug 31 08:25:37 EDT 2006

Ted Ralphs wrote:

>Dear project managers,
>
>After the recent successful transition to Trac, SVN, and the autotools,
>the Technical Leadership Council has taken as its next challenge the
>task of developing a standard system of assigning version numbers and
>developing stable releases for COIN-OR projects.

>A brief outline of the proposal is posted on the TLC wiki here:
>
>https://projects.coin-or.org/CoinTLC/wiki/VersionsAndReleases

As I use svn, the trunk only contains version that have passed all the
automated tests
(on my development machine). Other versions are checked into development
branches.

I think of getting the subversion repository as a developer's method of
obtaining the project.
Users would probably download the corresponding tarballs instead.

In addition, I like the
    "release early release often"
philosophy so that problems can be found and fixed close time to when
the corresponding
source code was created or modified.  The automated tests can (and
should) be
built and run by a user before she or he does a
    make install
If one of the tests does not pass on the user's machine, they should
report the problem back to the developers (and not install the new version).

Thus, it is crucial, in my current way of doing development,
that tarballs be created from the current version of the trunk.