[Osi] About packaging OSI

Christophe-Marie Duquesne chm.duquesne at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 05:35:15 EDT 2010

Hi Stefan,

You are perfectly right, the solution I proposed was too
straightforward. Yours makes more sense.

I am still wondering if there is another way to do this, because this
kind of packaging would oblige the developpers using Osi to adapt
their code, replacing 'new OsiXxxSolverInterface' with
'getNewXxxSolverInterface'.

For example, I wonder how difficult it would be to package stub
solvers: fake libraries that would define the same symbols used by
each OsiXXX and link correctly, but that would do nothing when called
(they would throw an exception or something). The packager would be
enabled to deliver a unique version of Osi compiled with support for
every solvers, using the stubs solvers as dependencies, and actually
installing one of these solvers would be equivalent to replace its
stub library with the actual solver. I think that would also do the
trick and prevent any modification in Osi client codes.

Now I don't know if it is really worth the effort: generating a stub
library can be tricky if OSI makes use of a lot of symbols of the one
to be replaced. The first solution seems easier to apply, which is a
really important point for me since we can get quickly to something
that works.

Lou:

I am having a look at your scripts. I was not aware of the ongoing
effort to package OSI. I would love to contribute. I'll try to update
myself and will come with questions asap.

--
Christophe-Marie Duquesne
06 84 14 26 82 - mobile