[Osi] OsiGlpk evolution: is backward compatibility important?

Arno Schödl aschoedl at think-cell.com
Wed Oct 29 12:59:31 EDT 2008

> More generally, for any OsiXXX, how do maintainers and users feel about
> maintaining backward compatibility? If XXX is a commercial solver with
> a fee for upgrades, the question becomes more pointed. This question
> aims to get some feedback for the evolution of the Osi project.

I am of the "change early, change often" camp. If it improves the interface, feel free to make changes. Otherwise at some point we will get bogged down by compatibility molasses. Maybe a recipe how to change existing code to the new interface would be nice, like: instead of funcA(x) now call y=funcB(); y.funcC(x);

In general, I found that most work induced by 3rd party component upgrades is due to new bugs in the component, rather than due to documented changes.

Just my two cents,

Arno

Dr. Arno Schoedl · aschoedl at think-cell.com
Technical Director

think-cell Software GmbH · Invalidenstr. 34 · 10115 Berlin, Germany
http://www.think-cell.com · phone +49-30-666473-10 · toll-free (US) +1-800-891-8091
Directors: Dr. Markus Hannebauer, Dr. Arno Schoedl · Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 85229