[Osi] proposal to rename "columnType" to getColTypes"

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Tue Apr 15 11:04:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 10:30 -0400, Robin Lougee-Heimer wrote:

> Anyone objections to changing "columnType" to "getColTypes"  so that
> it's more in line with the Osi naming conventions?

That breaks the current API.

I would rename columnType() to getColTypes(), implement columnType() as
a call to getColTypes() that just returns the result, and add a comment
indicating that columnType() is deprecated and should be removed at some
future date.  We can determine later exactly when to do that, but we
need to provide plenty of notice for API deletions and other changes
that alter the behavior of existing calling programs (including causing
them to fail to compile!).

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences