[Coin-osi-devel] COIN-OR Binary Distribution Project

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu May 25 18:12:00 EDT 2006

The COIN-OR Foundation is pleased to announce the formation of the new
"COIN-OR Binary Distribution Project":

http://projects.coin-or.org/CoinBinary

This project is a fledgling effort to distribute binaries built from the
source code of various COIN-OR projects. The goal is to provide
libraries and executables precompiled on the most popular platforms for
those users who do not need to look at, or modify, the source code of
the COIN projects themselves. Initially supported platforms are

     * Microsoft Windows with the Visual C++ 7 (.NET) compiler
     * Microsoft Windows with the Visual C++ 6 compiler
     * Linux with the g++ 3 compiler on ix86 architectures
     * Linux with the g++ 4 compiler on ix86 architectures
     * Mac OS X with the g++ 4 compiler on Power PC architectures

Projects currently included in the distribution are

     * COIN Utilities
     * Open Solver Interface with interfaces to
           o COIN LP Solver
           o COIN Branch and Cut Solver
     * COIN LP Solver
     * COIN Branch and Cut Solver
     * Cut Generation Library
     * Stochastic Modeling Interface

The first set of binaries are now available from

http://www.coin-or.org/Binaries

Basic information on installing and using the binaries is available at
the project Wiki here:

http://projects.coin-or.org/CoinBinary

A simple example illustrating the use of the binaries is also available
at the Wiki.

The currently available distribution has passed all current unit tests,
but has not been thoroughly tested by users. Please be aware that there
may be some glitches. We will do our best to address any problems
reported, but we are still in the process of developing testing and
release procedures, so response may be slow at first. Please post any
questions or concerns to the project mailing list, information for which
can be obtained at:

We are looking to expand our offerings, including additional projects,
platforms, documentation, etc. If you would like to volunteer to help in
this effort, please contact one of us directly.Thanks for your support!

Sincerely,

The COIN-OR Project Binary Distribution Team

JP Fasano (jpfasano at us.ibm.com)
Kipp Martin (kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu)
Ted Ralphs (tkralphs at lehigh.edu)