[Osi-managers] Version numbering

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Oct 4 22:57:53 EDT 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Ted Ralphs wrote:

> I guess I begrudgingly agree that we haven't managed to reach 1.0 yet, but I
> don't much care for the idea of assigning version numbers of 0.9*.*. I don't
> see the point of the first digit after the 0.9---isn't that what the patch
> level is for?

No, that's what the digits after the second decimal point are for.  So
0.9x.yy indicates that we are closing on 1.0.0, but leaves some room for
interim stable releases (hopefully we wouldn't need to go to 0.100.yy, but
we could).  Patch levels would be, say, 0.95.0, 0.95.1, 0.95.2, etc.  It
indicates that we are much past the point of raw hacking (0.1.yy), but not
quite at what we feel is a real production release (1.0.0).

This seems to be a pretty common numbering scheme for betas, release
candidates, etc. in other OSS projects.  0.9.yy is possible, but if you
want a stable release before 1.0.0, it would have to be 0.10.0, and then
it stops looking quite so close to done.

 		Matt

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences