[OS] COIN-OR integration to C#

Juhani Miettunen juhani.miettunen at piimega.fi
Thu Aug 15 06:35:08 EDT 2019

Hello all,

I have already asked advice from Couenne and CBC mailing list. Sorry for
multiple posting.

We have a sawmill ERP SW product done with Microsoft tools. Programming
language is C#. A new feature for the product requires mixer integer
optimization with quadrative objective (least squares). Problem is small,
tens of variables and constraints.

CBC solves the problem nicely. I have done testing using NEOS and AMPL
model.

Now we need to integrate CBC somehow to our SW. CBC APIs seem to require
quite a bit of coding and that’s why I am asking help from COIN-OR OS.

So, we already have the AMPL model. Actually, there will be lots of models
depending on the exact case. There will be variations in the amount and
content of the constraints and naturally in the constraint data.

First question: Is there any API available which allow input of the model
in matrix format? In our case modifying the problem directly to the
matrices would be the easiest way.

Second question: Assume we will send the model to the OS in OSiL format. We
would need to first convert the AMPL model into OSiL and then modify the
OSiL model depending on the exact case. If I have understood correctly, OS
can handle AMPL and converts the model into OSiL format. How can I get the
OSiL format out from the OS?

Any other advice to get forward?

Kind Regards,

Juhani