[OS] Using MUMPS in Ipopt within OSSolverService application causesMPI errors

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Sat Jul 18 14:40:20 EDT 2015

Hi,

On 07/16/2015 01:58 PM, Florent Teichteil wrote:
> Ok, thanks!
>
> But in this case I'm not sure to understand why Ipopt attempts to deal
> with the parallel version of MUMPS by calling MPI_Init and
> MPI_Finalize when needed or by forcing the use of flag
> HAVE_MPI_INITIALIZED. Why trying to deal with something that is anyway
> not supposed to work in essence?

The HAVE_MPI_INITIALIZED flag should be set by configure automatically.
That's why you don't see a difference when you set it explicitly.

The code in between
#ifndef MUMPS_MPI_H
#endif
in IpMumpsSolverInterface.cpp is for people who use Ipopt with an
MPI-enabled MUMPS version inside an MPI application.

As far as I remember, the idea was that if MUMPS_MPI_H is defined, then
one has the sequential (i.e., non-MPI) version of MUMPS, thus there is
no need to call the MPI_Init function.
I thus don't understand why you get the mpi.h from Mumps libseq when
using Fedora's MPI-enabled MUMPS.

If you remove the #ifndef MUMPS_MPI_H and corresponding #endif (in two
places), will that work for you?
As the MPI_init, MPI_finalize functions don't do anything in case of
using sequential MUMPS, there may be no harm in executing this code.

> At least it is confusing for the end user, and at worst it is a bug
> because COIN-OR and especially OSSolverService should not compile in
> presence of the parallel version of MUMPS. For instance,
> OSSolverService can NOT work under Fedora with the distribution
> packages of MUMPS and COIN.
>
> Why not simply aborting the build of COIN-OR in presence of the
> parallel version of MUMPS?

It's extra effort to implement a reliable test for a parallel MUMPS, and
there may be cases where this actually works.

Stefan