[OS] Problems - Making COIN-OS 2.3.2 on win32

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Mon Feb 14 20:07:22 EST 2011

Mike,

        The output from the patched configure script I sent you makes it clear
(I've broken it into one line per PATH element):

PATH at subdir Cgl check:
 /c/Program Files/Parallels/ParallelsTools/Applications:
 /c/Windows/system32:
 /c/Windows:
 /c/Windows/System32/Wbem:
 /c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/:
 /c/Programme/ILOG/OPL63/bin/x86_win32:
 /mingw/bin:
 /bin:
 /c/qt-sdk/qt/bin:
 /c/programme/cmpl

Somehow, something that you have installed on your system is putting the Windows
binary directories (the ones starting with /c/Windows) in front of the Msys and
Mingw binary directories (/mingw/bin, /bin). By patching the configure script to
use ls instead of find, I got you past the first problem. But the make output
that you sent me ends with these lines:

(cd .libs/libCgl.lax/libCglAllDifferent.a && ar x
/home/mike/documents/COIN-OS/Cgl/src/CglAllDifferent/.libs/libCglAllDifferent.a)
libtool: link: ERROR: object name conflicts:
.libs/libCgl.lax/libCglAllDifferent.a//home/mike/documents/COIN-OS/Cgl/src/CglAl
lDifferent/.libs/libCglAllDifferent.a

When I compare the various CGLxxx variables in your config.log with ones that I
get here on Solaris, yours all look reasonable.  So I'm going to take a wild
guess, based on some past experience:  Libtool uses sort, and it's finding the
Windows sort instead of the Msys (unix) sort.  The two are not compatible.
Unlike make, libtool does not recognise that the error lies with sort; it just
fails to work correctly.  But the next thing I would try is to rearrange your
PATH so that the Windows binary directories come *after* /mingw/bin and /bin.

	This will probably break something else that you have installed. I think
some of the others working on this have said that MinGW puts its own binary
directories first at installation. My suspicion is that something else that you
install after MinGW is rearranging your path to what it thinks is correct. If
you install Parallels after MinGW, it'd be at the top of my list of suspects.
But the only way to be sure is to check PATH after installing MinGW and then
after installing each additional program.

	As with all diagnosis at a distance, your mileage may vary. But one of
the folks with MinGW installed should be able to say how PATH should look
immediately after the MinGW install.

							Lou