[OS] Linking with OS API

Jun Ma maj at northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 24 11:03:40 EDT 2008

> What I am planning to do in the next is to take a GAMS .gms model
> input file, convert it to an AMPL .mod file, then convert it in to
> a .nl file for OS to read in and construct an OSExpressionTree. From
> here, I want to look in to doing symbolic manipulation on the tree,
> such as variable substitution, and expression transformation. This
> will be required later when I try to implement several global
> optimization algorithms. I was interested in using OS because it was
> able to interface with AMPL .nl files, thus any back-end solver I
> implement can be easily compared with other solvers under GAMS or
> AMPL. Am I right to say that this is one way OS was intended to be
> used?

Pete,
What you mentioned above is all correct.
Just remember that the modeling system usually do some preprocessing (e.g.
deleting duplicate and redundant constraints).
When comparing, you should make sure the preprocessing are either turned off
(check individual modeling system's manual) or the preprocessing are the
same so that the resulted instances that're fed into the solver are the same
too.

Jun Ma