[OS] Linking with OS API

pete ppjanes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 05:48:13 EDT 2008

Hi Kipp,

Thanks a lot for your help.

The code compiles and runs now. The examples from the
https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/OS/trunk repository were very
helpful. I only needed to find several additional include directories
to get my test code  working. I originally checked out from
https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/OS/releases/1.0.0 however the
Makefiles for the examples there were difficult to read (though there
were more examples). I noticed that this repository has the
<DefaultSolver.h> file which the trunk version did not.

What I am planning to do in the next is to take a GAMS .gms model
input file, convert it to an AMPL .mod file, then convert it in to
a .nl file for OS to read in and construct an OSExpressionTree. From
here, I want to look in to doing symbolic manipulation on the tree,
such as variable substitution, and expression transformation. This
will be required later when I try to implement several global
optimization algorithms. I was interested in using OS because it was
able to interface with AMPL .nl files, thus any back-end solver I
implement can be easily compared with other solvers under GAMS or
AMPL. Am I right to say that this is one way OS was intended to be
used?

Kind Regards,

Pete