[OS] linear constraint terms in OSInstace API

Kipp Martin Kipp.Martin at ChicagoGSB.edu
Mon Feb 11 09:53:03 EST 2008

Hi Susana:

> I am using OSInstace API to represent my nonlinear problem.
> What is exactly the meaning of <start> when defining the linear constraint terms in c++ ?

We built the OSInstance API to efficiently represent the constraint
matrix of linear programs, or the linear part of a nonlinear program.
Let's say I have two constraints:

x0 + 10.5x02 + 11.7x12 + 3*x0*x1 <= 25
ln(x0*x1) + 7.5x0 + 5.25x1 >= 10

I have three linear terms in these two constraints. I would represent
the three linear terms by

     <start>
     </start>
     <rowIdx>
     </rowIdx>
     <value>
     </value>

In this case we are storing the linear terms by columns (hence the
<rowIdx>). The <start> indicates the start of the nonzero elements. So
variable x0 starts at position 0. It has two coefficients 1 and 7.5.
Then variable x1 starts in position 2 and has one term 5.25. The number
of starts is number of variables + 1. The last start value of 3
indicates that there are 3 nonzeros that we are storing.

Regards

> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
> Susana Lera.