[OS] Status info and OSService

Paul A. Rubin rubin at msu.edu
Mon Dec 29 23:12:51 EST 2008

Hi all,

I'm writing an application that hopefully will consist of a Java GUI/app
that writes out a MILP model  as OSiL and OSoL files, passes them to
OSSolverService (binary) to be run on a local copy of Cbc (binary), with
the results going the other direction as an OSrL file.  (Of course, as
someone said, the first casualty in every battle is the plan.)  I think
this is similar to the setup at the INFORMS vendor session, except that
I'm slipping in a Java program on the front end.  So I have a couple of
questions ...

Is there any way for Cbc to communicate, through OSSolverService or
otherwise, progress info (notably the optimality gap)?  The optimization
chain will be running as a separate thread in the Java program (so as
not to block the GUI), so it wouldn't be hard to add a thread that would
monitor for incoming progress info, even if it were in the form of
intermediate status files.

Also, is there any way for the user to abort a solver run and get back
the best incumbent so far?  I can kill the solver by killing its thread,
but I'm thinking of a user who decides that he'd rather have an ok
solution before dinner time than an optimal solution two days after the
universe suffers heat death.

Looking around the CBC project page didn't tell me much (the focus is
obviously on CBC as a library -- they admit in passing a binary exists,
but that's about it).  I suspect the answers are "no" and "surely you
jest" respectively, but it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks,
Paul