[OS] Java, Java Tools and OS services

gregb gregb at grotto-networking.com
Wed Apr 23 20:26:10 EDT 2008

Hi folks, just discovered the COIN-OR and the OS projects and am very
impressed with the solvers and the schema. Currently I'm using
Lp_Solve via a JNI (Java Native Interface) that was contributed to
that project. However the wide range of solvers offered by COIN-OR and
the very complete set of Schemas of the OS project is motivating me
towards implementing via OS.

I had a couple questions concerning the Java code.  It looks to me
that the Java code doesn't use the JNI mechanisms but rather an
operating system call to launch the native C++ executable.  Is this
correct?

Has anyone used JAXB (Java XML Bindings) on the schemas?  I just ran
OSiL (OSgL) through the schema-to-Java compiler (known as XJC) and had
a few name collisions in the conversion to Java (that can be fixed
through some JAXB mechanisms). This generates a ton of Java classes
that can be used to form model instances. Unfortunately, there seems
to be a bug in in JAXB not correctly handling the double INF and -INF
values correctly. I sent a message to the JAXB folks on this.  If
folks are interested in Java I can let folks know how this experiment
works out. I'll also be looking at the Web Services tools applied to
the WSDL files.

Regards

Greg B.