[OS] Re: Java wrapper for COIN-OR

Jun Ma maj at northwestern.edu
Tue Nov 27 00:13:56 EST 2007

Hi Patrick,
For your information, the OS project is also implemented in Java. In fact
the Java implementation is more comprehensive than our Cpp implementation,
except that the Automatic Differentiation (AD) in Java is much less
professional than our Cpp implementation. You can write out OSiL XML
instance, linear or nonlinear just fine; just don't use the nonlinear AD for
serious use. In terms of performance, Cpp should be faster. Our Cpp
implementation hardly uses any third party libraries, not even the XML
parser. Our Java implementation uses quite some external libraries on the
other hand.

Can't tell you the Java usage. For invoking the OS Web Services, the client
can be any language, Java maybe more likely. For ourselves, outside of the
OS project, we have developed general purpose solvers using Java, mainly for
research purpose though. Then there is another project which we've been
doing on and off for developing an XQuery based modeling language (OSmL); it
is also implemented in Java. It natively outputs the standard OSiL instance.
Then the OS Server that is used for hosting optimization as services is all
implemented in Java (no cpp version).

There is also a .net implementation, only that it doesn't have nonlinear
instance (don't have time). For various reasons, (mainly nobody requested
it), we don't have it available on our Web site yet.

The java source is also on the COIN svn site. You can check out at:
https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/OS/branches/OSjava
You are very welcome to contribute to it; we need the help.

The cpp source can be checked out at:
https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/OS/trunk
All the binary distribution (cpp or java) is at
http://www.coin-or.org/download/binary/OS
Manual is at:
http://www.coin-or.org/OS/doc/osUsersManual_1.pdf
Online doc is at: