[Os-project-managers] Bonmin etc. options passed through Couenne

Horand Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at Dal.Ca
Sat Oct 13 08:24:11 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

In our options paper we say "Another use of the {\tt  category}
attribute is to allow a solver to pass options on to external pieces
of software that are used by the solver. For instance, Couenne..."

In the OSCouenneSolver we then go through contortions to build the
option name out of the "name" and "category" attributes and pass it to
the option loader in Couenne as e.g., "bonmin.warmstart". Wouldn't it
be a lot easier and clearer(!) so simply put "bonmin.warmstart" as the
*name* of the option right away? After all, this is the name you would
use when calling Couenne in stand-alone fashion, and this is what the
Couenne user's manual says you should do. It would also simplify our
code considerably, and it would avoid the contortion of treating
category "ipopt" special, since the loader does not prepend the
'ipopt' to the option name. That is

name="print_level" value="6" category="ipopt"

must be sent to the option loader *without* the 'ipopt.' prepended. I
say, using the "category" attribute in the way we are advocating in
the paper is confusing and can do more harm than good. My preference
would be to simply take that paragraph out of the paper.

Cheers

gus

Cheers

gus

Horand I. Gassmann, Professor

School of Business Administration, Dalhousie University
6100 University Avenue, PO Box 15000
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3H 4R2
ph. (902) 494-1844
fax (902) 494-1107