[Os-project-managers] Ticket 50

Horand Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca
Tue May 1 07:15:32 EDT 2012

"R. Kipp Martin" <kmartin at chicagobooth.edu> wrote:

>> The other point is that Mike talked about folder names, not file names,
>> and there the user actually may not have a lot of choice. Under Windows,
>> for instance, it is quite common to have one's files stored under the
>> "My Documents" folder, which is generated by the system. I think it is a
>> bit much to ask the user to change the name or use a different location
>> just so that OSAmplClient can stay "pure". No offense, but I definitely
>> think you are misguided on this one.
>
> They can move the files. Even idiotic Windows lets you move files!!!!!

I had another look at Mike Steglich's code and remarks. I noticed two
things. First, his remark about the command line shell (explained by
Stefan in a later email) is true. Even if you put double quotes around
a command line argument, the quotes get stripped before the string is
put into argV.

Second, however, was the pattern I discovered in OSParseosss.l:

optionValue ([-a-zA-Z./~:_0-9$\?+\\!@#&*()]+|\"[^"\n]*\")

The second part of this pattern explicitly looks for strings enclosed
in double quotes, so it seems we are already catering for this
possibility.

If you put a command line argument (any argument) into double quotes
--- which is legal ---, you are clearly signalling that this argument
should be handled as one argument, even if it contains spaces, but our
system splits it apart. So I am thinking that this is a bug in
OSSolverService.cpp.

Horand I. Gassmann, Professor

School of Business Administration, Dalhousie University
6100 University Avenue, PO Box 15000
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3H 4R2
ph. (902) 494-1844
fax (902) 494-1107