[Os-project-managers] Consent agenda item

Horand Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at DAL.CA
Wed Sep 21 08:55:53 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I hope we can treat the following as a consent agenda item:

We currently have a class OSnl2osil in files OSnl2osil.cpp and
OSnl2osil.h. Its purpose is to read a .nl file and to pull out the
instance information. However, as we have seen, the .nl file also
contains bits and pieces that we would classify as options. ASL gives
us only very limited access through its API, so we have to parse the
entire .nl file to get at any piece of it. We therefore have to pull
the OSOption bits out simultaneously with the OSInstance pieces.
(Otherwise the time may kill us on a large problem.)

I propose to define a new class nl2OS _inside_ the same
OSnl2osil.cpp/.h files. This class would inherit from OSnl2osil, and
so everything would be backwards compatible. It would also make the
code development easier.

Is this reasonable? Please feel free to consent/object/discuss.

Cheers

gus

Horand I. Gassmann, Professor

School of Business Administration, Dalhousie University
6100 University Avenue
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada , B3H 3J5
ph. (902) 494-1844
fax (902) 494-1107