[Os-project-managers] Scenarios

R. Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Sun Oct 23 15:43:16 EDT 2011

Hi Gus:

> Good. I am still working on my Msys make! It's been easily 20 hours, but
> the end is slowly in sight; I have started to see the OS-related files
> being compiled.

Which version of Visual Studio are you compiling against and which Fortran?

> Have we come to a conclusion about the CoinAll binary? I feel a bit

No definitely not.

> weird about the suggested solution of putting out separate binaries for
> MSVS9 and MSVS10. The equivalent in the unix world would be a separate
> binary release (in the same version!) of gcc4.33 and gcc4.34. I have

First, the suggested solution of separate binaries for different
compilers is what we actually do. Its fine to feel weird about it, but
it is what we do. For example Stephan made:

http://www.coin-or.org/download/binary/OS/OS-1.1.1-linux-x86_64-icc9.1.tgz

and

http://www.coin-or.org/download/binary/OS/OS-1.1.1-linux-x86_64-icc10.1.tgz

so we have the same OS release with different Intel c and fortran
compilers. You may not like it or think it is weird, but it is what we do.

Second, notice we have a different binary version because the compilers
are different releases. I don't want to drive you insane, but I view V9
and V10 as the equivalent of different compiler releases. So in your
analogy above, it would be gcc 5.xxx.xxx versus gcc 4.xxx.xxx.

As I see it (assuming separate distributions based on 32 and 64 bit
builds), there are at least three possibilities for a directory structure:

Scenario 1) We have a separate distribution for each version of Visual
Studio. In this scenario, there is a lib folder with the libraries built
using the version of Visual Studio corresponding to the distribution and
in the examples folder a sub-folder with the Visual Studio project files.

Scenario 2) In the lib folder of the distribution we have a subfolder
for V9 libraries and a subfolder for V10 libraries. In the examples
folder we have a Visual Studio Project Files folder with sub folders for
V9 and V10.  Important Note -- this results in a different directory
structure than you get from using make install. In our current binary
releases we do have compiler dependent sub-folders in the lib directory.

Scenario 3) In the lib folder a single set of libraries built with
either V9 or V10. In the examples folder we have a Visual Studio Project
Files folder with sub folders for V9 and V10.

Scenario 1) is what we currently do. It seems like you favor Scenario 3)
and are trying to demonstrate that it can work. There is also in
parallel an Installers project being worked on by Haraldo Santos that
will allow users to use an installer to install binaries. There will be
one for Coin-All. Haraldo is testing with Cbc. See

http://www.decom.ufop.br/haroldo/files/cbc-2.7.2-Windows.exe

This directory structure fits Scenario 2).

I think this sums things up and it is not clear which Scenario we are
going to use going forward. Fortunately there is a TLC meeting this week
and I will bring this up. As a project manager you are welcome to attend
and I encourage it. It is Wednesday at 4 PM Eastern.

What do you think of the summary above?

Cheers

--
Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research
kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
http://www.chicagobooth.edu/faculty/bio.aspx?person_id=12825325568
http://projects.coin-or.org/OS

Sent without Blackberry, Droid, iPhone, or any other
wireless device.