[Os-project-managers] Question about OSoL and OSrL

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Mon Jan 3 18:36:06 EST 2011

Hi Jun:

> Let's clarify first: the options in the OSoL file is *really* options to
> be used in optimization; they are NOT descriptions about the option file.
> So obviously, the three suggested elements, by the fact that they are
> "borrowed" from OSiL, are descriptions of what the OSoL file is.
> Is it necessary? Or is it that important?
> The reason that they are in OSiL is because we think they are necessary
> given the instance is usually quite important. But we didn't even put
> <author> there, because <source> is just general enough and
> we don't want to over engineer it with too heavy a structure. After all
> they are mainly for archiving and reporting purposes, and not for the
> optimization purposes.

I think an option file can have an "identity." For example, we might be
running experiments where we want to test the performance of an
algorithm given different sets of options and starting values. In other
words I want to test my algorithm on, for example, 10 different option
files. In this case I would want to clearly identify each option file
with a <name> and <description>.  In this case my <description> really
is about the option file.  For example

<description>test with loose tolerances</description>

<description>test with tight tolerances</description>

Then in the solver options the various tolerances differ. So indeed I
want to describe my file.

We might also want to link an option file with an osil file. We could do
this with  <description> or <source>.

Cheers

> Jun

Kipp Martin