[Os-project-managers] (Fwd) Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Thu Feb 3 16:09:28 EST 2011

Hi Gus:

Hopefully the disk space problem was a "random glitch." I copied the
project managers list so maybe it will get there.

I guess the bottom line is that we are hosed.

It seems to me that

1.
  <general>
  	<license></license>
  </general>

2.

  <general>
  	<license/>
  </general>

3.

<general/>

should all yield identical objects. In all three cases a general object
should be instantiated  and in all three cases the class member
"license" is a string equal to "". I have no problem with that. Of
course the question is what should the XML be. That is going to be
ambiguous and the user might well input in a file

  <general>
  	<license></license>
  </general>

and get back

<general/>

Now of course

<osol...></osol>

is totally different from a class/object standpoint. If we have

  <osol...></osol>

then the  "general" member of the class is equal to NULL. In cases 1-3
"general" is not NULL.

Do you agree that 1-3 are identical objects?  Is the question to come up
with a standard as to what we write?

Cheers

> it is not clear to me where this message bounced, but somewhere there is a
> disk space problem...
>
> Cheers
>
> gus

> Date sent:	Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:44:11 -0400 (AST)
> From:	Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON at kil-sm-1.ucis.dal.ca>
> To:	<Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca>
> Subject:	Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours

>     **      THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY      **
>     **  YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE  **
>
> The original message was received at Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:43:03 -0400 (AST)
> from GGassmann-2.SBA.Dal.Ca [129.173.124.191]

> ... while talking to list.coin-or.org.:
> <<< 452 4.4.5 Insufficient disk space; try again later
> <Os-project-managers at list.coin-or.org>... Deferred: 452 4.4.5 Insufficient disk space; try again later
> Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
> Will keep trying until message is 5 days old
>
> Hi guys,
>
> this is a follow-on query to the issue of numberOf...="0" that I asked
> previously.
>
> In OSoL the <general> element has a number of string-valued children (such
> as serviceURI, serviceName, instanceName, etc.) These elements have no
> default value and no length restriction, so it would seem that, e.g.,
>
> <general>
> 	<license></license>
> </general>
>
> is a legal OSoL element --- or even
>
> <general>
> 	<license/>
> </general>
>
> My problem then is to distinguish these situations from
>
> <general/>
>
> or even
>
> <osol...></osol>
>
> I know that we said earlier with the numberOf... that we will put the
> child
> element and treat
>
> <variables>
> 	<initialVariableValues numberOfVar="0"/>
> </variables>
>
> as different from
>
> <variables>
> </variables>
>
> even though they are functionally equivalent, but in the string-valued
> cases
> this turns out not to be so easy. I don't new the string, and hence I
> cannot
> test whether the parser allocated it or not, I can't go by the length (?)
> --- it
> seems that
>
> <password></password>
>
> should be legal, for instance --- and hence I do not know how to establish
> equality of two <generalOption> objects. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> gus

Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research