[Os-project-managers] Fwd: Re: variable suffixes

R. Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Mon Aug 29 18:48:39 EDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: variable suffixes
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 19:10:45 -0300
From: Horand Gassmann <Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca>
To: David M. Gay <dmg at ampl.com>
CC: Kipp Martin <kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu>

"David M. Gay" <dmg at ampl.com> wrote:

> Hi Gus,
>
> Sorry to be slow replying to your message of 22 Aug.
> I'm behind...
>
> Still on the to-do list is updating "Hooking Your Solver to AMPL".
> Meanwhile, /netlib/README.suf, e.g.,
>
> 	http://www.netlib.org/ampl/solvers/README.suf
>
> tells how to use suffixes in a solver interface.

Hi Dave,

thanks a lot for replying. The `Hooking...` document does indeed
explain what to do if you know the name of the suffix. However, in OS
we are normally in a situation where the solver developer invents a
new suffix, the user defines the suffix in AMPL, and we are in the
middle having no idea what the two are up to. It would be great if
there were some kind of utility in ASL that we can query alerting us
to the fact that the .nl file contains information for suffix .sstatus
associated with the variables, .dinit associated with the constraints,
and the symbolic .solver_developers_folly associated with the
objectives.

Just a thought...

Cheers

gus

Horand I. Gassmann, Professor

School of Business Administration, Dalhousie University
6100 University Avenue
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada , B3H 3J5
ph. (902) 494-1844
fax (902) 494-1107