[Os-project-managers] email to Mike

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Thu Apr 7 17:46:02 EDT 2011

Hi Guys:

How does the following sound:

%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dear Mike:

Thanks for taking the time to talk with Gus, Jun, and me today. We are
enthusiastic about potential collaborations with you and Thomas. The
three of us feel that a C++ open-source modeling language such as CMPL
is an important addition to COIN-OR.

Next Step: we think that the best way to proceed is to follow one of
your suggestions. In particular, create 1) an OScmpl2osil.cpp class that
takes a cmpl string, 2) sends it to an executable that parses the cmpl
and creates the corresponding  OSiL, and 3) reads the osil string,
creates an OSInstance and then calls a solver.

The OScmpl2osil.cpp code would reside in

OS/src/OSModelInterfaces

along with similar classes such as OSmps2osil.cpp and OSnl2osil.cpp.
However, unlike the other classes in OSModelInterfaces that link to
internal libs we are calling an external executable.

This seems like a reasonable way to start. I can write the
OSModelInterfaces and we can collaborate and hash out details on calling
the executable.

Future Issue: When Gus, Jun, and I discussed future collaboration, we
discussed potential licensing problems. With the initial plan above
there are no license problems. But if we mix source code and/or
libraries there is a big issue since we are using EPL/CPL and you are
using GPL.  Most COIN-OR projects are EPL/CPL and all of the COIN-All
projects are EPL/CPL.  There is a COIN-OR project CppAD that is dual
licensed under GPL and CPL. Perhaps you could consider doing something
like this.

It was a pleasure to talk with you today.

Cheers

--
Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research