[Os-project-managers] More schema troubles!

Horand Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca
Wed Nov 24 14:59:08 EST 2010

Horand Gassmann <Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca> wrote:

> Kipp Martin <kmartin at chicagobooth.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gus:
>>
>>> more trouble...
>>>
>>>  In OSoL we give the initial variable values in the form
>>>
>>> <var idx="..." value="..."/>
>>>
>>> where "value" is an *optional* attribute, with*out* a default value.
>>> This makes very little sense. In OSrL we use the form
>>>
>>> <var idx="...">...</var>
>>>
>>> which is a little more sensible, but it does not allow us to compress
>>> repeated values (such as for a zero-one program). I think we should use
>>> the same form for both schemas, and we should at least allow the
>>> possibility of an IntVector to compress repeated values. (Unfortunately,
>>> this is a 3.0 issue...)
>>>
>>> Do you guys agree?
>>
>> I agree that:
>>
>> 1) we should be consistent,
>>
>> 2) allowing repeated values is good,
>>
>> 3) we are looking at OS 3.0
>>

>> That said, I am a little bit worried about our users such as the GAMS
>> folks. We are going to break things for them.

Hi guys,

I do need some guidance as to what I should implement in the OSoL
parser. The current schema has

<var idx="..." value="..."/>

with *no* default value for the optional attribute "value". This is
not going to work. It is also inconsistent with OSrL, where the form is

<var idx="...">...</var>

The least amount of damage in the short run (i.e., prior to version
3.0) would be to make the "value" attribute *required*. Are there any
objections to this change?

Cheers

gus