[Os-project-managers] [Fwd: OSoL, OSrL, change sets 2819 and 3013]

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Sun Nov 21 20:10:06 EST 2010

Hi Gus:

> Ah, this is not quite accurate. In OSoL and OSrL we have an
> <optimization> element with attributes "numberOfVariables",
> "numberOfObjectives" and "numberOfConstraints". These attributes are
> redundant and do not have an equivalent in OSiL. Whenever we do need
> the number of items in an element, such as number of variables in the
> OSoL element <initialVariableValues>, we require /in this element/ a
> mandatory attribute "numberOfVariables". I have no plans to abandon
> that. However, the attribute "numberOfVariables" in the parent element
> 'optimization. is not used for anything (other than perhaps a
> consistency check, namely that each "idx" in the
> <initialVariableValues> has a legal value (between 0 and
> "numberOfVariables"). In OSoL the attribute is entirely unnecessary
> and may actually stand in the way of reusability, and in OSrL it does
> not add much of value either.
>
> To be specific, I am talking about removing the attribute
> "numberOfVariables" in line 195 of OSoL.xsd, *not* the attribute
> "numberOfVar" in line 241.

Aha, mea culpa. Now I understand. Yes, I very clearly see the
difference. And yes, I agree they SHOULD NOT be required. Indeed, I now
remember in the OSoL debate the argument that carried the day was that
in OSoL the file might actually be for multiple solvers and multiple
problem instances.

Cheers

>> I prefer we instead make OSoL required. Here is my logic. If we use
>> optional instead of required we impose a tax on people who want to use a
>> language such as C for implementation. In C there is no vector
>> construct. So if you don't know numberOfXXX this is a big problem. What
>> is the logic of imposing this tax on developers?
>
> See above. The particular information I want to remove is actually redundant.
>
> Cheers
>
> gus

Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research