[Ipopt] Trouble converging to solution while being close to it

Maxime Boulay mboulay at flogen.com
Tue Sep 24 11:54:52 EDT 2019

Hello,

I am working with IpOpt to solve an optimization problem with non-linear
constraints. Most of the time it converges to the solution without any
problem, but there is a certain set of similar cases where I keep getting
the "infeasible problem detected" error. Having checked the constraints, it
seems that there is always a violation of at least 1e-3, and IpOpt cannot
get past it despite it being practically at what I know to be the solution
already.

I have tried lowering the tolerance to allow that margin of error but I get
a restoration phase failure with the message: "Restoration phase converged
to a feasible point that is unacceptable to the filter for the original
problem", and the scaled dual infeasibility is always at 100. Also, since
those cases happen when one particular variable is at 0, I have tried
putting the problematic constraints as respected in those cases, but then
IpOpt can't get to the solution at all because of discontinuity issues I
suspect.

I am a bit stomped by this situation and any help or suggestion would be
well appreciated. Has anyone faced this kind of situation before? Is there a
workable way to make IpOpt ignore certain constraints in certain conditions,
or should I try something else completely?

Thank you,

Maxime

------
IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
the property of FLOGEN Organization and/or its affiliates, are confidential,
and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this
e-mail is addressed. If you are not a named recipient or otherwise have
reason to believe that you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender and delete this message immediately from your computer.
Any other use, retention, dissemination forwarding, printing or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited. This e-mail is for information purposes
only and does NOT constitute any binding acceptance of any offer, deal,
contract, settlement of any sort by FLOGEN, its directors, managers or
employees. You are hereby notified that FLOGEN does not do any acceptance
orally, by e-mail or any other informal way but only through legally signed
written agreements. Although this email and any attachments are believed to
be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system
into which it is received, and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted
by FLOGEN Organization and/or its affiliates for any loss or damage arising
in any way from its use.