[Ipopt] Query about the objective function gradient

Seth Watts watts2 at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 1 10:02:16 EST 2018

Hi Chinmay -

If your objective function is differentiable, then you can get around
implementing an analytical gradient by instead implementing a finite
difference approximation. Since this will require at least one objective
function evaluation per decision variable, this could be quite slow
depending on the problem size, but it is a possible way forward. (I have
done this when my objective function depended on the output of a third
party code.) You could also look into automatic differentiation code that
could determine the gradient of your objective. However, if your objective
is non-differentiable within your feasible region, you will need to find
another optimization algorithm.

- Seth