[Ipopt] Constraint violation during optimization

Moritz Oberhauser moritz.oberhauser at tum.de
Thu Apr 12 07:06:08 EDT 2018

Dear all,

we are using IPOPT as part of an NMR pulse optimization program and
facing the fact, that constraints set via eval_g are not fully respected
during the optimization. I read up on the documentation, but it seems
there is no configuration option for the problem described below.

An NMR pulse has two orthogonal components/controls called X and Y
(n=2). The total amplitude vector must not exceed 10.000 Hz. Therefor
the one sided, constant constraint is defined as x² + y² <= 10.000².

Unfortunately the final amplitude often surpasses 10 kHz by up to 800 Hz
during the optimization despite the constraint. The "constr_viol_tol"
setting only defines one of the termination criterias of the
optimization. However we want to optimize for a certain iteration count
(1000) and find the best pulse that fulfills the constraint. The
fidelity of the pulse itself does not have to reach a certain threshold.

The "nlp_scaling_min_value" parameter might be related to this issue
because it mentions an eventual final constraint violation. However I'm
not really understanding how exactly the gradient based scaling in IPOPT
works. Currently we scale the gradient ourselves prior handing it over
to IPOPT because we haven't found an equivalent option like
"gradient_scaling_factor" or "gradient_step_size". Maybe it's
recommended to use user-scaling in that case. Is scaling the whole
project rather than the gradient / step size the preferred procedure?

To sum it up: Is there a way to influence the constraint violation
during the optimization process? Ideally one that allows the violation
to be zero: 0 <= nlp_constr_viol_tol < +inf

I hope I explained the situation well enough and used the program in an
intended manner.

Best wishes,
Moritz Oberhauser