[Ipopt] Error during Ipopt compilation using Cygwin

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Tue May 16 16:53:41 EDT 2017

I haven't looked closely enough either to be sure if the issue mentioned by
Austin is the one you're running into, but there are more details on this
issue listed here in case:

https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/current-issues#Configuration

I might also suggest MSys2 as an alternative (perhaps less problematic)
*nix build environment on Windows.

Cheers,

Ted

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Austin Herrema <aherrema at iastate.edu>
wrote:

> Having zero experience with Cygwin myself, this may be way off. But it
> looks like "libtool: link: ERROR: object name conflicts" is your problem
> either way. A quick Google search on that error yielded this:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12060186/libtool-
> object-name-conflicts-in-archive-netcdf-mingw
>
> Perhaps the solution lies therein?
>
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Brian Macdonald <macbdog at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> I am having difficulty attempting to compile Ipopt using the Cygwin
>> interface. I am following the steps as listed in the documentation. The
>> Ipopt code (Ipopt 3.12) was acquired by svn, and I am using the HSL linear
>> solvers.
>>
>> Running ../configure works fine, but using the make command resulted in
>> the following error:
>>
>> rm -fr  .libs/libipopt.lax
>> rm -fr .libs/libipopt.lax
>> mkdir .libs/libipopt.lax
>> rm -fr .libs/libipopt.lax/libLinearSolverLoader.a
>> mkdir .libs/libipopt.lax/libLinearSolverLoader.a
>> (cd .libs/libipopt.lax/libLinearSolverLoader.a && ar x
>> /usr/bin/coinIpopt/build/Ipopt/src/Interfaces/../c
>>
>>                                    ontrib/LinearSolverLoader/.lib
>> s/libLinearSolverLoader.a)
>> libtool: link: ERROR: object name conflicts:
>> .libs/libipopt.lax/libLinearSolverLoader.a//usr/bin/
>> coinIpop
>>
>> t/build/Ipopt/src/Interfaces/../contrib/LinearSolverLoader/.
>> libs/libLinearSolverLoader.a
>> make[2]: *** [Makefile:480: libipopt.la] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/bin/coinIpopt/build/Ipop
>> t/src/Interfaces'
>> make[1]: *** [Makefile:679: all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/bin/coinIpopt/build/Ipopt'
>> make: *** [Makefile:323: all-recursive] Error 1
>>
>> Looking at previous threads, I found one that suggested using
>> --disable-linear-solver-loader with configure to get around this error.
>> When I do that and then attempt to use make again, I am getting the
>> following error:
>>
>> rm -fr  .libs/libipopt.lax
>> rm -fr .libs/libipopt.lax
>> mkdir .libs/libipopt.lax
>> rm -fr .libs/libipopt.lax/libcgpenalty.a
>> mkdir .libs/libipopt.lax/libcgpenalty.a
>> (cd .libs/libipopt.lax/libcgpenalty.a && ar x
>> /usr/bin/coinIpopt/build/Ipopt/src/Interfaces/../contrib/
>> CGPenalty/.libs/libcgpenalty.a)
>> libtool: link: ERROR: object name conflicts:
>> .libs/libipopt.lax/libcgpenalty.a//usr/bin/coinIpopt/build/
>> Ipopt/src/Interfaces/../contrib/CGPenalty/.libs/libcgpenalty.a
>> make[2]: *** [Makefile:480: libipopt.la] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/bin/coinIpopt/build/Ipop
>> t/src/Interfaces'
>> make[1]: *** [Makefile:679: all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/bin/coinIpopt/build/Ipopt'
>> make: *** [Makefile:323: all-recursive] Error 1
>>
>> I have tried starting from scratch, but I keep getting the same errors.
>> Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

> [...]

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Visiting Researcher, Zuse Institute Berlin
Professor, Lehigh University
(610) 628-1280
ted 'at' lehigh 'dot' edu
coral.ie.lehigh.edu/~ted