[Ipopt] Good solutions with errors in derivative test

Andrew Spiteri andrew.spiteri at um.edu.mt
Wed Feb 1 09:22:38 EST 2017

Hi all,

I am using IPOPT (MATLAB interface) to solve trajectory optimisation
problems of medium complexity (roughly 100 variables with 300
constraints). Due to this complexity, I am using INTLAB to automatically
calculate the gradient, Jacobians and Hessians, however I am now
noticing that the IPOPT derivative test is showing a considerable number
of errors (in grad_f, jac_g and hess), with relative errors ranging from
about 0.0001 to 1. I'm not sure why INTLAB seems to be giving inaccurate
values, but I'm suspecting the various vector manipulations (scaling,
splitting and merging) which occur in eval_f, eval_g and eval_hess.

The confusing part is that the solutions actually appear as expected,
despite these errors being present. Furthermore, solutions are typically
found within 100 iterations, which seems to indicate a reasonably good
performance. So my question is: is it possible to have good solutions
with good performance when the aforementioned errors are present in the
problem?

Thanks in advance.
Andrew Spiteri