[Ipopt] how to select non linear solver

Antonello Lobianco a.lobianco at univpm.it
Tue Dec 19 05:48:12 EST 2017

I think you have a bit of confusion.
You posted on the "ipopt" mailing list.
"ipopt" is a solver engine for non linear problems. It is free and has, by
itself, no limits (and, by the way, let you choose between different
"linear solvers" for the linear part of solving a nonlinear problem.. let's
call them "subsolvers". The default MUMPS is fine.)

Now, how do yo use IPOPT ?
You can use it trough the C++ interface. But "coding" a model in C++,
taking care of multiple dimensions of your problem, passing IPOPT the first
and second derivatives (or using automatic differentiation libraries -
ADOL-C and ColPack in my case) is long and complex.

So you use IPOPT within an Algebric Modelling Language, that allows you to
code your model in a simple equation-like style.
Two of the oldests AML - GAMS and AMPL- are commercial. Even to use IPOPT -
by itself free- they ask you money.
Nowaday you have better alternatives, like Pyomo for Python or JuMP for
Julia.
If you don't have "path dependency", e.g. having to work with someone that
uses only GAMS or AMPL, go for them and you can use IPOPT totally for free
(and use nice, easy to integrate languages).

Antonello

On 19 December 2017 at 10:01, Wijekoon, Manusha <manusha.wijekoon at citi.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Raoul,
>
> I will try different solvers. However most of the solvers need licence for
> commercial use. This is OK as long as we can do an evaluation, but could
> not find any info on evaluation licences. I will keep on searching.
>
> Thanks
> Manusha

Antonello Lobianco
AgroParisTech, Laboratoire d'Economie Forestière
14 Rue Girardet - 54000 Nancy, France
Tel: +33.383396865
Email, university: antonello.lobianco at inra.fr
<antonello.lobianco at nancy.inra.fr>