[Ipopt] Optimal control problem (discretize and c++ inerface)

Pablo Perez pabloperez555 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:53:45 EDT 2016

Hi,
First of all, thank you very much to you all for your soon answer, they have provided me with a new focus about my problem.
For solving this problem I have been using until now a dynamic programming method, which always finds a global minimun and does not present convergency issues, but it is very slow and memory gready for allowing use it within an embeded device. So I wish like to migrate from "computer methods" to mathematical ones.
About using a third party framework, for personal reasons I would like to use as many open source software as possible, so I have discarded AMPL for being propietary code. Anyway, CasADi is an open source project with LGPL license, and the few time I have been looking it this morning makes me think it is an awesome tool, and I would like to use it for fast prototyping and test checks. Thank you Joel for your efforts developing and spreading it.
About using the Euler method (RK1 method), it is only for a first version of the program. In next development I was thinking about use higher order methods, as midpoint or RK4. About simultaneus approach, I also was thinking about using it, even I have only very limited knowledge about optimal control. I will check the Biegler's book and look to the example in "Ipopt-3.12.6\Ipopt\tutorial\CodingExercise\Cpp\3-solution" for knowing more about this subject.
About using c++, it is because is the language I better know. I would like to implement all the problem using the Ipopt c++ interface, including the hessian derivatives. In a second approach, I let Ipopt calculate them using the "hessian_approximation->limited-memory" option in code. And finally, i would like to implement the problem using Casadi an use the C source code within my own program, so I can test performance between the three options.
Please, Joel, may you tell me is Casadi can be used directly with "#include <casadi/casadi.hpp>" as in the example you sent to me for defining the problem in the same way as Ipopt does? It is because I am not proficiency in python neither in matlab...
Best regards,Pablo