[Ipopt] Problem has too few degrees of freedom

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 25 14:39:39 EDT 2015

Hi,

yes, Ipopt first checks whether the number of (unfixed) variables is
greater-or-equal the number of equality constraints. Otherwise, it will
regard the problem as overconstrained and stop with the message you see.
This conclusions is based on assumptions on constrained qualifications,
basically, that there are no redundant equality constraints.

Stefan