[Ipopt] question about ipopt with ma86 or pardiso

Ian Washington washinid at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jul 8 16:04:21 EDT 2015

Hi All,

Quick question.

At what point in the problem size (variables/constraints) does using a
parallel shared-memory linear solver like ma86, ma97 or pardiso become
beneficial in terms of speedup.

I am trying to do some timings on a sparse discretized optimal control
problem with about 30000 variables and 20000 equalities (i.e. 10000
dof). Currently, ma86 and pardiso require more time than the serial ma27
solver for the same amount of iterations. I am using openmp 3.1 with
gcc-4.7.3 on linux 64bit.

I am guessing my problem is just too small at present.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ian.