[Ipopt] about state variable and control variable in IPOPT

Christian Wolf ChristianLupus at gmx.de
Wed Oct 29 06:13:18 EDT 2014

Hello,

in fact you are describiing here the "direct approach" for solving
optimal control problems.
I did similar things using ipopt a few years ago.

If you try to only optimize over the inputs u only, you might get into
trouble if the underlying system is not behaving "well" (for example is
unstable.
Nevertheless you could do it and use for example the sensitivity
differential equation to calculate the derivatives.

In any case (to make this clear) you have to discretize the time in any
fashion.
Then the control input u is kept constant in each time slice.

There might be better solutions (of higher degree) available, but this
depends on the knowledge of the thread starter if those are applicable.

Hope this helps
Christian