[Ipopt] Having trouble obtaining mex file using mavericks

Tony Kelman kelman at berkeley.edu
Wed May 7 18:29:28 EDT 2014

For future reference:

With about half an hour of debugging work over Skype we were able to get
this working again. The Matlab interface, at least when
using --enable-matlab-static, is not happy with using Xcode 5/Clang's libc++
instead of the GCC libstdc++. We fixed it by adding
ADD_CXXFLAGS='-stdlib=libstdc++' to the Ipopt configure call (step 2 in the
list Begum sent). The instructions Begum was working from are intended to
dynamically link to the OS X system libstdc++, Blas, and Lapack, but
statically to libgfortran (there have been issues with Matlab interface
exception handling on Mac if you statically link everything, also depends on
compiler versions and where you install them from). That should allow using
the same mex file on other computers that don't have gfortran compilers
installed, though I forgot to check whether the static linking to
libgfortran did what it was supposed to. Begum, could you let me know at
some point whether the same mex file we just built works on other computers?
I'm especially curious whether a mex file built in Mavericks can work on
older versions of OS X.

-Tony