[Ipopt] accessing Lagrange multipliers in all callback routines

Joel Andersson j.a.e.andersson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:48:06 EDT 2014

Hi Ian!

Why not add a slack variable and minimize a linear objective?

minimize c
subject to
(x_min,-inf) <= (x,c) <= (x_max,inf),
c-f(x) = 0,
g_min <= g(x) <= g_max

Best regards,
Joel

> Hello All,
>
> I currently have an NLP with expensive constraint function evaluations
> which requires the solution of an embedded ODE or DAE (via an adaptive
> integration solver) (i.e., dynamically-constrained NLP).
>
> Ideally I would like to evaluate the embedded DAE states/sensitivities
> only once for a given set of NLP variables (and only if these variables
> change) per major optimization function eval (i.e., objective,
> constraint, jacobian, hessian callbacks). This is pretty straight
> forward using global variables where, for example, I would evaluate all
> required functions (objective, constraints) and first derivatives in
> lets say ipopt's objective function callback and then make these results
> available in the remaining callback routines via global variables.
>
> However, when generating exact second order information (of the
> constraints involving the embedded model states) using, for example, a
> forward over adjoint second order sensitivity analysis, I need to pass
> the Lagrange multipliers of the constraints in question to the embedded
> DAE sensitivity solver. So, if I am to generate this second order
> information within ipopt's objective function callback I would need
> access to the internal Lagrange multipliers. Currently it seems only
> possible to get this information directly within the Lagrangian hessian
> callback.
>
> So my question is, does anybody know of any possible way to make the
> internal Lagrange multipliers available to callback routines other than
> just the hessian callback.
>
> Thanks,
> Ian.

Joel Andersson, PhD
Ptge. Busquets 11-13, atico 3
E-08940 Cornella de Llobregat, Spain
Home: +34-93-6034011
Mobile: +32-486-672874 (Belgium) / +34-63-4408800 (Spain) / +46-707-360512
(Sweden)