[Ipopt] question on formulation of the objective function and IPOPT performance

Greg Horn gregmainland at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 08:36:51 EDT 2014

Hi Damien,

Since no one has answered I'll take a shot at it, though it's not my
expertise. The case you described is:

minimize f(x) w.r.t {x}
vs
minimize y w.r.t {x,y}, subject to y == f(x)

I'm not sure if there will be any difference in this case. However, I have
had personal experience with:

minimize f(g(x)) w.r.t {x}      [prob1]
vs
minimize f(y) w.r.t. {x, y} subject to y == g(x)    [prob2]

In this case you can have significantly better convergence by "lifting"
these variables out. [prob2] will compute a better search direction than
[prob1]. This is why people use direct multiple shooting instead of direct
single shooting sometimes. There are even specialized lifting solvers which
can do linear algebra in the space of [prob1] and obtain the search
direction in the space of [prob2], for example:
http://num.math.uni-bayreuth.de/en/conferences/ompc_2013/program/download/friday/Diehl_ompc2013.pdf

Hope this helps,
Greg