[Ipopt] Compilation problem with gcc-4.8.3 (Fedora 20)

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 18 12:17:09 EDT 2014

Hi,

On 07/18/2014 05:59 PM, fmargot wrote:
> Hi:
>
> On 07/18/2014 11:37 AM, Stefan Vigerske wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the HSL buildsystem has been adapted to work with the new HSL code
>> download (HSL for Ipopt).
>> This has been documented in the release notes for Ipopt 3.11, in the
>> Ipopt documentation, and in the INSTALL.HSL file in ThirdParty/HSL.
>> ThirdParty/HSLold is the old buildsystem that still works with the old
>> HSL code downloads.
>> If you put the old HSL code into the new ThirdParty/HSL, it will just be
>> ignored, so you have build your Ipopt without any linear solver, so the
>> tests did not work.
>>

> Sure, but configure reports that it finds ma27 and mc19 and that they
> should be compiled.

Where did it reported that it found ma27 and mc19?
You said you got the following:
--------------
checking whether source of project HSL is available and should be
compiled... no, source file ../ThirdParty/HSL/coinhsl/common/deps.f not
available
checking whether source of project HSLold is available and should be
compiled... yes, source in ThirdParty/HSLold
-------------

It may be confusing that it says that ThirdParty/HSLold is available,
even when there are no HSL sources in it. This has always been like this
because there seems to be no easy way around this.
With the new HSL, there is a file that is common to all HSL codes, so
configure can check for the present of that one.

> Yet, this does not work. In my opinion, either
> configure should say that it found neither ma27ad.f and mc19ad.f in
> HSLold nor the new files in HSL, or it should move old-style files from
> HSL to HSLold and compile them if needed.

HSLold is deprecated and will be removed in some future version, we will
not copy files around between different ThirdParty dirs.

>> Ipopt/trunk may have a workaround for the issue with rand() and gcc
>> 4.8.3. It needs someone to confirm that it will work.
>
> I just downloaded Ipopt/trunk. Same problem with rand:
>
> ../../../../Ipopt/src/Common/IpUtils.cpp:200:5: error: #error "don't
> have function for random number generator"
>   #   error "don't have function for random number generator"
>
> After adding
>
> #define HAVE_STD__RAND
>
> in IpUtils.cpp, everything works.

I missed another spot, hope it is better now (r2496).