[Ipopt] Ipopt MUMPS interface and MPI problems

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 15:45:29 EDT 2014

  Hi,

  The Ipopt MUMPS interface calls MPI_Init in the class constructor
and MPI_Finalize in the destructor. But openmpi causes a fatal
error due to it:
Calling MPI_Init or MPI_Init_thread twice is erroneous.

Debian uses this patch for Ipopt:

http://sources.debian.net/src/coinor-ipopt/3.11.7-2/debian/patches/mpi-init.patch

But "only" that patch causes the Ipopt testsuite to fail due to calling
MPI functions before MPI_Init.

What is the proper way to handle it? I believe it should be
somewhat like only call MPI_Init and MPI_Finalize from the
test suite main function, but I have few knowledge of all
details (e.g. maybe only required if linking Ipopt to a parallel
MUMPS) ...

Thanks,
Paulo