[Ipopt] complementarity constraints and changing bounds duringsolver run

Tony Kelman kelman at berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 4 18:45:36 EST 2014

David,

It’s difficult to tell why the Hessian evaluation is so time-consuming without more detailed profiling of what ADOL-C is doing. You can try setting the Ipopt option hessian_approximation to limited_memory, which can be less expensive than evaluating the exact second derivatives but since it is only a Quasi-Newton approximation Ipopt will likely require more iterations to converge.

Regarding complementarity problems, if there is a way to modify constraints from iteration to iteration I wouldn’t expect Ipopt to perform very robustly. If you’re only solving approximate problems based on a relaxation parameter, I would think you don’t need an exact tight-tolerances solution to the approximate problems in order to get a good starting point for the next outer iteration with a lower relaxation parameter... could you terminate early after an iteration or time limit or looser tolerance and still get a useful point?

Your understanding on the complementarity-supporting version of Ipopt only being implemented in Fortran matches what I know about it. You might want to look into a more general-purpose solver like SCIP http://scip.zib.de/ or using a mixed-integer formulation of the complementarity constraints with Bonmin/Couenne.

-Tony