[Ipopt] Question About Augmented Matrix (KKT Matrix) in IPOPT

Anil Rao anilvrao at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 20:55:07 EDT 2013

All,

I have some questions regarding the KKT system that is being factorized by
whichever linear solver is interfaced with IPOPT (Mumps, MA27, MA57).  The
particular linear solver is not in question, it is the KKT matrix that
IPOPT is sending to the linear solver.  Specifically, it says in Zavala's
book, "Computational Strategies for the Optimal Operation of Large-Scale
Chemical Processes" that IPOPT factorizes the augmented matrix, where the
augmented matrix includes the barrier Hessian.  I want to know where the
following quantities are computed in IPOPT:

(1) The actual Hessian, H_i
(2) The barrier Hessian, W_i, where W_i = H_i + Sigma_i
(3) Sigma_i, where Sigma_i = inverse(X_i)*V_i where X_i is a diagonal
matrix of the current estimate of the decision vector and V_i is a diagonal
matrix of the Lagrange multipliers of the simple bound constraints x_min <=
x <= x_max

The reason I ask this question is that in some problems we are solving
IPOPT appears to be sending to MA57 augmented matrices whose elements have
extremely wide disparities in magnitude.  For example, in some problems
which IPOPT seems to solve perfectly fine we are seeing many orders of
magnitude difference in elements of the augmented matrix and we cannot
understand why the elements are so widely separated in magnitude.

In addition to the above requests, I am grateful if somebody can point me
to the exact location in IPOPT where the augmented matrix is constructed
and sent to the linear solver.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Anil Rao