[Ipopt] compiling JIPOPT

Joris Kinable deus87 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 06:29:36 EDT 2013

Dear,

I'm trying to obtain a shared object for JIPOPT under linux (as is
explained here: https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt/wiki/JavaInterface) ,
but I get the following error:

========================
/opt/ipopt/build/Ipopt/contrib/JavaInterface$ make
g++ `echo -O3 -pipe -DNDEBUG -pedantic-errors -Wparentheses -Wreturn-type
-Wcast-qual -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion
-Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-long-long   -DIPOPT_BUILD | sed -e
s'|-pedantic-errors||'`  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/opt/ipopt/build/lib -shared -o
lib/libjipopt.so jipopt.o
`PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/ipopt/build/lib64/pkgconfig:/opt/ipopt/build/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/ipopt/build/share/pkgconfig:
/usr/bin/pkg-config --libs ipopt`
/usr/bin/ld: jipopt.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S against `vtable for Jipopt'
can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
jipopt.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lib/libjipopt.so] Error 1
=========================

This is what I've done:

1. set my JAVA_HOME variable
2. Downloaded the latest Ipopt from: https://projects.coin-or.org/**
svn/Ipopt/trunk <https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/Ipopt/trunk>
3. Downloaded the necessary third party packages, including HSL for Ipopt.
4. created a build directory inside the ipopt dir, and consecutively ran:
../configure, make, make test, make install. Both ../configure and make
test returned that they were successful.
5. Next I went inside the folder
/opt/ipopt/build/Ipopt/contrib/JavaInterface where I ran make. The latter
results in the above error.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this error?

br,

Joris

First I've