[Ipopt] Question about CPU time in NLP function evaluations

Ahn, Tae-Hyuk ahnt at ornl.gov
Fri Mar 22 09:38:40 EDT 2013

Hello Stefan,

Thank you very much for your fast response. I really appreciate it.

Yes, the hessian is very very dense. I have more questions followed your answers.

1. You mentioned "use of the new_x flag that is passed to the evaluation routines" to check where my code spends so much time. Can you explain this more in detail (a little bit) how I can put the flag?

2. I am just wondering there is a option for "ipopt.opt" to disable some function of "function evaluations". I didn't look at the inside IPOPT codes yet. Should I change the codes directly if I want to reduce some steps of function evaluation?

3. Do you think that I can get more efficiency using parallel linear solver. e.g., Pardiso? We have a plan to use MPI to run the binary many times for different models. IPOPT manual recommends that MUMPS with MPI cannot be worked correctly. Do you have any suggestion or recommendation for multithreads with MPI?

Thank you very much.

Ted