[Ipopt] MATLAB crash

Tony Kelman kelman at berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 8 13:18:59 EDT 2013

The stack trace you provided looks like it was coming from algencan (and
from May?), not ipopt.

Regardless, it's not a good idea to tell Matlab to use the version of
libstdc++ from your operating system. Depending what release of Ubuntu
you're running, your default GCC version is likely quite a bit newer, and
binary incompatible, with the version Mathworks recommends. See
http://www.mathworks.com/support/compilers/R2012a/glnxa64.html

What's probably easiest is to install the older GCC compilers with (I'm
hoping you have install rights on this machine, otherwise you can build GCC
from source but that takes quite some time)
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.4 g++-4.4 gfortran-4.3
It looks like gfortran-4.3 might not be available quickly through apt-get in
the most recent Ubuntu releases, you can try gfortran-4.4 and things might
still work. Tell ipopt configure to use these compiler versions by
specifying CC=gcc-4.4 CXX=g++-4.4 F77=gfortran-4.4 (or 4.3).

Are you telling ipopt configure specifically to use a preinstalled coinhsl
shared library? You're probably better off building the coinhsl source along
with Ipopt and linking the libraries statically. As long as you have the
coinhsl source under ThirdParty/HSL/coinhsl, and are using the site script
which sets --disable-shared, you shouldn't need a shared libcoinhsl.

-Tony