[Ipopt] Jipopt issue

Edson Cordeiro do Valle edsoncv at enq.ufrgs.br
Fri Jan 18 12:00:15 EST 2013

Em 18-01-2013 13:57, ipopt-request at list.coin-or.org escreveu:
              Hello Alberto

Since you ran the derivative test, I'll focus the answer on eval_H function:
This function have 2 purposed:
1st: pass the hessian structure
2nd: send the hessian itself during optimization.

In the initialization phase, ipopt ask for the hessian structure (notice
that is not the hessian of the constraints, but the hessian of the
Lagrangean: fobj(x_i) + lambda_k*(h(x_i)_k)).
Notice that there is a difference between a zero and a constant hessian,
zero mean 2nd derivative = 0 and constant means that it does not change
according to x.
In this initialization, the values field is null (if values == null) and
the structure is sent and recorded in iRow and jCol vectors (they have
the size of nele_hess).
nele_hess must be appropriately set in ipopt constructor.
Then, in 2nd step, eval_h will be called and must be filled on the
values vector ( of size nele_hess) according to your problem.
If you are using limited memory hessian, you can make your function
return "false", then neither the structure nor the values will be
passed, but this generally slows the convergence rate.
You can put a println in your eval_hess to see if it is being called.
Regards
Edson Valle