[Ipopt] Ipopt stuck at local optimum

Joris Kinable deus87 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 03:32:50 EDT 2013

Dear Frank Kampas,

You are indeed correct that ipopt is not a global solver. Yet I was
wondering whether there are approaches to get ipopt out of the local
optimum. I could for example re-start ipopt with a new, random initial
solution, but usually (at least with heuristics), restarting from an
entirely new solution is a bad idea. It is usually better to retain part of
the old solution. Hence, a better approach might be to take the solution
returned by ipopt, perturbate that solution (or destroy part of the
solution) and resolve using that solution as a starting point. This
approach retains part of the old solution.
Nevertheless, as I have no experience with non-linear solvers, I don't
really know what good approaches are; these are just guesses. Are you aware
of other, better approaches to get better solutions out of ipopt if it gets
stuck at a local optimum?

br,

Joris