[Ipopt] continously run IPOPT,but different results

Tony Kelman kelman at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 18 16:35:16 EDT 2013

Additionally, are you absolutely sure you're not doing any type of warm
starting, and every single input to the Ipopt call is exactly the same each
time?

The constraint dependency detector is not a default setting and I believe
it's described as experimental, so unless Felix is specifically trying to
use it I doubt that's the source of the issue.

I've seen 3 causes of non-deterministic behavior in the Ipopt Matlab
interface:

1. Accumulated roundoff errors from parallel BLAS/LAPACK libraries (applies
for other interfaces to Ipopt too). These should really only show up in the
last few decimal places, unless the problem has multiple non-unique
solutions or is poorly conditioned. For non-convex problems, this could even
lead Ipopt to converge to different local minima - if the exit flag is
always solve succeeded but the optimal objective values differ
significantly, this may be what's happening.
2. Mistakenly changing the initial point, warm starting the primal and/or
dual variables with different values each time. Review your code carefully,
you might be reusing some structures that you thought were constant but
actually changing certain fields, etc. This might be less likely when you
call Ipopt through OPTI, I'm not positive.
3. Memory access bugs in the Matlab interface. I believe I've found and
fixed all of these and if you're using the latest version of OPTI then
Jonathan has implemented similar fixes.

If reviewing your Matlab code doesn't show anything (and Jonathan's the best
person to look over how you call OPTI), it's best to increase the print
level (using output_file and file_print_level to avoid filling your command
window) and compare detailed outputs from different calls to see exactly
where the results begin to differ. If the cause is #1, you can try switching
to a mex file that was compiled using the reference versions of BLAS/LAPACK
(e.g.
http://www.coin-or.org/download/binary/Ipopt/Ipopt-trunk2112-linux64mac64win32win64-matlabmexfiles.zip).

-Tony