[Ipopt] Ubuntu package for MUMPS fails with MPI_Comm_rank error

Philip Du Toit philip.dutoit at numerica.us
Fri Apr 12 10:54:38 EDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone successfully run Ipopt with the MUMPS solver using the packages provided on Ubuntu?

I am able to successfully run the Cpp_example.cpp when I compile Ipopt and Mumps from source.
However, when I use the Ipopt and Mumps packages provided by the package manager I get the following runtime error:

./a.out
[nasa1:489] *** An error occurred in MPI_Comm_rank
[nasa1:489] *** on communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
[nasa1:489] *** MPI_ERR_COMM: invalid communicator
[nasa1:489] *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)

Does anyone have any hints for using the Ipopt and Mumps packages on Ubuntu?

Many thanks.

--Philip